Welcome to week 5 of the Tiny Toffee Merry Stitchalong! Today we will be visiting Mr. Miller - stamp collector, designer and owner of the North Pole Post Office!
"Welcome to my little kingdom, everyone! It is very busy in here all year round as we receive Christmas letters and wishlists all year long, not just during Christmas time. The elves you can see over there are writing replies to each and every single letter. Once they are happy with their letters the elves will package them up in an envelope and put a fancy stamp on it. To make sure that children all over the world know right away where their letter comes from I designed this unique Santa´s hat stamp."
Let´s get started to make a stamp ornament...or two..or three... ;)
- template for the Santa´s hat hexie
- fabric scraps
- white felt
1. Piece your hexie. You might want to choose a colorful background as we are already using white felt for the stamp edges! When you are done piecing and joining part A and B of the Santa´s hat do NOT remove the paper.
2. Draw down two vertical lines on the back of your finished pieced hexie, right on the paper (that´s why we wanted to keep it on your hexie). Now cut the excess off so that you will end up with a rectangle as pictured. Now you can remove the paper!
3. Cut two pieces of white felt, measuring 2 1/4" x 3 1/4". Using your zigzag scissors give the two felt pieces a "stamp-ish" look. The next thing we will have to do is cutting a "window" into one of those felt pieces. This window will have to measure 1 1/4" x 2 1/4".
4. Pin the fabric rectangle onto the full felt piece and stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as possible. This does not have to look super nice as it will be hidden by the felt piece that goes on top, but it will secure the fabric onto the felt back. Also cut a piece of ribbon for the hanger and secure this with a few stitches.
5. Layer the window felt piece on top, making sure to hide all seams and stitch around it, close to the edge. Done!
Some more ideas (and yes I am sad this stitchalong is already over - November flew by so quickly! - so I have to squeeze some more odds and ends in!):
For super simple Christmas tags to fancy up your presents this year make your favorite paper pieced hexie as well as an additional hexie for the background. Sew them together right sides out with a slip stitch and either pop a ribbon inside for a hanger or simply use a safety needle to attach it to your present.
To dress up your hexies in style go crazy with embroidery - like I did on the little Christmas tree. You can make a lot of tree hexies and they still can look all different when you play with fabrics and embroidered details!
Use different fabrics to give those tiny envelopes a unique look!
Put a mini clothespin on your stocking hexie!
Thank you for joining me on my journey to the North Pole!